Friday, February 29, 2008

WE WILL NOT QUIT!!!


The News
A call from Drew at about 1:30 today left me with the most disturbing news of the UK basketball season to date: Patrick Patterson is out for the season. When he said it, I checked my calender to see if it was April 1st. This had to be a joke. This season has already been plagued with injury after injury, but this was the worst.
The Realization
As the reality of the blow set in the uneasy feeling in my stomach got worse and worse. I turned my attention to message boards and begged uncontrolably for mercy. For about an hour and half I complained, whined, counted the injuries of the season. I went from hopeful to helpless in the moment of the words "Pat out for the season."
The Fight
But then I was reminded by an article on aseaofblue.com that this is Kentucky Basketball. This is the best program in the history of the game. We are the BigBlueNation. And we do NOT throw in the towel. I was reminded of a fade away three pointer to end regulation against Florida. I was reminded of Perry Stevenson's inspired play when Tennessee came to Lexington. I was reminded of how this team had clawed and fought their way from a 7-9 record that was considered completely out of the NCAA Tournament to a 16-10 team with a chance to take the lead in the SEC on Sunday. I was reminded of HEART. This team has had HEART all season. We as fans have hoped with our HEART of hearts all season. It's not over. When it is our HEARTS will turn to next year. But until the final buzzer sounds on this team we will believe with our HEART. And we WILL FIGHT! GO CATS!!!

No comments: